Are Your Legacy Applications Holding You Back?
As organizations evolve on their digital journey, many find their application portfolio includes custom developed apps and legacy commercial apps that are suboptimal to support necessary business innovation.
Custom solutions that were necessary when built are no longer relevant as more flexible functionality exists within newer applications.
Here are some reasons, legacy applications are detrimental to your organization.
- Finding talent: No one wants to be one in charge of maintaining legacy apps. Your newer workforce talent may to understand older code, and has no desire to learn a non-market skill.
- Troublesome Integrations: The instability of previous implementations can often be troublesome.
- Security vulnerabilities: Many older systems have already been hacked over time. It’s hard enough keeping up with new threats and attacks. Why waste sleepless nights having to patch up apps with known flaws and vulnerabilities?
The SmarTek21 Legacy Application Upgrade Process:
Business Innovation Driven by Digital
In reality, something must be done before bad things happen.
The answer is simple: Modernize your application portfolio stack. You likely already know this. However, many IT Departments find it difficult to redeploy existing staff already working on other key business items. Let SmarTek21 be your partner in Digital Transformation, bringing skills and experience to make this upgrade a success.
- Establish a governance body with involved stakeholders.
- Determine if the app is still used.
- Calculate the % of functionality that is still relevant
- Decide if you are better served by COTS/SaaS product.
- Evaluate if the app is completely replaceable or partially replaceable.
- Determine integration requirements up or downstream.
- Evaluate if it’s supportable with existing skill sets.
- Collaborate to identify go-forward application architecture.
- Plan infrastructure requirements (Cloud / On-Prem / Hybrid.)
- Prioritize portfolio.
- Identify and procure COTS / SaaS products.
- Build product backlog in ALM.
- Pilot COTS / SaaS products.
- Implement infrastructure requirements.
- Build CI/CD pipeline.
- Develop pilot application(s).
- Review outcomes from pilot(s) and refine approach.
- Onboard SCRUM teams.
- Rebuild apps with full test coverage to modern standards.
- Migrate to COTS / SaaS platforms as required.
- Continually review incremental outcomes with governance body.
- Embed with client tech teams to ensure ongoing KT.